At Nantucket Boys & Girls Club, Child Safety is Job No. 1
Ensuring child safety is fundamental to the mission of NBGC
The Safety and Wellbeing of Young People is Our Number One Priority
We work every day to create a safe, fun environment so kids can have every opportunity to be successful in life. We have ZERO tolerance for inappropriate behavior of any kind, including child sexual abuse or misconduct, and we put resources behind that stance.
Culture of Safety: NBGC continually updates robust safety policies, programs and training for our staff and volunteers that a redesigned to promote child safety and protect young people from threats that are present in our society. We implement layers of safety policies and guidelines to keep our kids safe including:
- Nationwide background checks and local SORI, CORI checks on staff and volunteers
- In-depth orientation for new employees on signs/symptoms of abuse. Also, their role as mandated reporters.
- At least 2 pieces of training per year with Children’s Cove; A child advocacy group committed to reducing the trauma endured by child victims, promoting accountability, fostering healing, and advocating on behalf of child victims of sexual abuse and physical abuse.
- 23, high-resolution cameras, strategically placed throughout building
- Video “greeter-call-in system” front door with automatic lock
- Silent 911 alarms located behind Front Desk, Executive Directors office, Director of Operations office
- Active Shooter training provided by Nantucket Police Department
Safety Policies: NBGC has comprehensive safety policies in place that protect youth – including, but not limited to, supervision, transportation, communication and prohibiting private one-on-one contact.
24- hour Toll-free Child Safety Hotline: We encourage all staff, members and families to report any incident or situation they feel is unsafe. Through our national partnership with Praesidium, one of the nation’s leading safety experts, NBGC members and staff have access to a confidential 24-hour toll-free Child SafetyHotline, 866-607-SAFE (7233) or email SafeClub@Praesidiuminc.com.
Mandatory Background Checks: Mandatory criminal background checks are required every year for every staff and board member at NBGC. In addition, criminal background checks are required for any volunteer who has direct contact with children. All potential employees and volunteers are also run through MassachusettsCORI and SORI checks.
Required Immediate Reporting: NBGC staff and volunteers are all mandated reporters. We are required to report any critical incident/safety concern to local authorities immediately. We are also required to report any critical incident to Boys & Girls Clubs of America within 24 hours.
Mandatory Annual Safety Assessments: We have a dedicated Trustee run Safety Committee who complete a safety assessment each year to ensure we continually make improvements to safety at our club.
Safety Trainings: Ongoing training and supervision of staff is critical. We participate in a wide variety of child safety training conducted such as seminars, conferences and webinars. We also engage leading third-party safety experts to provide guidance for our policies and approaches, including Praesidium, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, and the National Children’s Advocacy Center.
Safety Committee: NBGC has a dedicated safety committee to provide input and guidance on local policies and safety strategies. Priorities and initiatives include:
- Facility Safety Assessment
- Potential Emergencies/Disasters
- Role and Responsibilities of staff
- Response Protocols(for incidents requiring internal and/or external coordination)
- Safety of our members, both emotionally and physically
Mandatory Employee Reference: Any employee interested in moving to another Boys & Girls Club is required to have a reference from the previous Club, even if the Clubs are within the same community.
State and Local Laws: We comply with federal, state and local safety laws, including those impacting facilities and vehicles.
Safety Partnerships: Nationally, Boys & Girls Clubs of America works with leading experts in the areas of safety, security and technology to develop state-of-the-art solutions for Clubs. Partners include:
- National Child Safety Advisory Task Force, made up of leading experts and organizations
- Blue Ribbon Taskforce, comprised of local Club leaders charged with providing input on the safety direction and key safety initiatives
- Mental Health First Aid, a national program that teaches skills to recognize and respond to signs of mental illness and substance abuse
- Crisis Text Line, a confidential text message service for youth in times of crisis
Locally, NBGC partners with:
- Fairwinds Counseling Center
- Nantucket Public Schools
- Nantucket Police Department
- Children’s Cove-Cape and Islands Children Advocacy Center
- A Safe Place, Nantucket
- A.S.A.P-Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention
Nationally, Boys & Girls Clubs of America has advocated the passage of the U.S. PROTECT Act, which improved background screening systems and access. The national organization has also partnered with the FBI, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and the Centers for Disease Control to contribute to the development of safety practices that benefit ALL youth-serving organizations.
America’s young people deserve nothing less than our constant focus on their safety and our firm commitment to protect every child who is entrusted to our care at NBGC. To learn more about our national safety policies and actions, please visit Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s Child Safety page.
For more information please contact:
Director of Operations
On-site Safety Officer