Director of Development
Primary Function: The Director of Development will facilitate, launch and manage a capital campaign within two years of employment. The Director of Development works closely with the Executive Director and Development Assistant, along with the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees implementing fund raising activities. The Director of Development manages the internal and external communication of the organization including the marketing, advertising and public relations.
Key Roles and Essential Job Responsibilities:
Fundraising and Special Events
- Launch and manage Capital Campaign for Sparks Avenue development and the organization’s endowment
- Work with Executive Director, Development Assistant, Sam Sylvia Pro-Am Golf Tournament Committee, Tim Russert Summer Groove Committee and the Community Fall BBQ Committee to ensure the success of fundraising events including managing the Annual Fund
- Establish timelines for each program and event with committee chairs and input into a general administrative calendar
- Support chairs in the development, printing and delivery of materials for each program and event
- Coordinate logistics of events with committee chairs
- Adhere to the budgets of each special event
- Foster and maintain positive donor relations with Executive Director
Development Office Functions
- Work with Development Assistant to maintain donor database and acknowledge donor gifts
- Work with Development Assistant to retain development records with privacy
- Prepares grant proposals as needed
- Research to identify potential donors for cultivation and solicitation
- Supervise the Development Assistant and prepare the annual performance evaluation
- Prepare and monitor the Development Department’s annual budget
- Prepare all required reports
Organizational Communication & Marketing
- Work with Executive Director, Director of Operations, Computer Center and Social Media Coordinator to develop and implement a marketing plan to help promote the Nantucket Boys & Girls Club, establish and manage a communications calendar
- Organize the production and distribution of the Nantucket Boys & Girls Club annual report
- Manage restricted, special and foundation gift program
- Prepare grant and foundation annual updates
- Represent the organization as needed in the community
Education, Experience, Skills and Knowledge Required
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of five years experience preferred
- Experience with MS Office, Outlook, Power Point, Excel and databases and all forms of social media
- Experience with Abila Fundraising 50 software strongly preferred
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, dependable and punctual and set high standards for accuracy and efficiency, and demonstrate a strong work ethic
- Adhere to all personnel policies, procedures and rules contained in the employee handbook
- Ability to maintain professional, cordial relationships with the Board of Trustees, staff, committee members and guests
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change and manage stressful situations professionally
- Be accountable for responsibilities of the position, meet deadlines and live up to commitments
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 25 pounds
- Ability to operate office equipment including computers and printers
Nothing in this job description restricts the Nantucket Boys & Girls Club’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. The position is at will, which means either the employee or the organization may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice and for any reason.
Program Assistant (September, 2018)
To assist, under the direct supervision of the Program Director in planning and implementing current and new programs of the Nantucket Boy’s and Girl’s Club, as well as the Boys & Girls Clubs of America programs for members.
- Introduce recreational and educational programs.
- Encourage member participation in Club activities.
- Assist the Program Director in selection of boys and girls who, because of special needs, are to be recommended to the proper referral agency.
- Respond appropriately to behavior issues as a professional in youth development.
- Be responsible for daily maintenance of program areas.
- Focus on safety of members with supervision and structured activity.
During summer months, the position shifts as a camp counselor with a variety of tasks separate from school year
High energy level, comfortable performing multi-faceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities; superior interpersonal skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature; flexible. Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Maintain close, daily contact with staff and supervisors. Mandated reporter.
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Experience and knowledge of youth development
- Ability to mentor and motivate youth
- CPR and First Aid certified
- Ability to continuously stand or walk.
- Ability to bend, squat, climb stairs and lift frequently
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Ability to be outdoors during all seasons
Must be available to work until 8:00pm and on weekends, including teen nights. You must be flexible as determined by the needs of the program.
Front Desk Coordinator- (September, 2018)
To track Club members attendance on a daily basis, ensuring accuracy of knowing when members are entering and exiting the building at all times. Acknowledge and greet all visitors of the Club and ensure each visitor has followed appropriate protocol for signing in. Responsible for answering phones and transferring calls to the appropriate staff member and/or answering any general questions regarding the Club. The Front Desk coordinator also navigates the KidTrax database when member data is required at the desk.
- Present a warm and welcoming presence to all members/guests who enter the Nantucket Boys & Girls Club
- Ensuring each member entering the Club has been registered, track members as they enter and exit the building. Always be aware of who the member is leaving the building with and their means of transportation
- File membership cards
- Keeping the Front Desk area tidy at all times
- Always be knowledgeable of all current programs and activities, in order to relay accurate information to Club member, parents and guests of the Club
- Be knowledgeable of annual Club fundraisers and events in order to answer any questions in a professional manner
- Print and make copies of Club materials; be sure that all schedules, calendars, registration forms, etc. are always available
- Be willing and able to perform other Club duties when needed:
- Programs scheduled away from the Front Desk including: art room, learning center, teen room, snack shack, outside, field trips, dances, Club and community events)
- Clean and maintain the Club and any other program sites as defined and assigned on the schedule or requested by the Executive Director, Director of Operations, Program Director and Athletic Director.
- Ensure the safety of all Club members by being aware and monitoring all members and guests who are entering and exiting the building
- Support the organization’s mission and principles
- Provide emotional support and guidance to youth
- Maintain an eye appealing and organized Front Desk area
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Experience navigating databases
- Computer literate: Microsoft office and KidTrax
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Knowledge of youth development
- Ability to motivate youth and manage behavioral issues
- Demonstrate ability to organize, implement and complete tasks
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and to develop solutions to problems with limited supervision as well as efficient time management
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Club staff
- Attention to detail and confidentiality
Important Notes and Requirements
- During the summer months, the position shifts to camp counselor responsibilities and duties, with a variety of tasks and programming separate from the Front Desk
- Must be available to work until 8:00pm and on weekends and occasional late night hours during teen nights
- Candidate must be flexible as determined by the needs of the program to remain successful